Our healthcare report gives a data-driven look at global healthcare technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity in Q3 2019.
2019 continues to be on pace to set a deal record. Globally, healthcare companies have raised over 3,400 rounds this year and are on target to exceed 4,500 annually for the first time.
In our Q3’ 2019 report, we cover macro trends across global geographies and regions within the United States. We focus on digital health and the broader healthcare spaces, before highlighting seven healthcare sub-sectors such as women’s health and the pharma supply chain.
- European deals increase in Q3: European healthcare companies raised $2.88B in the third quarter, a 129% increase from Q2’19.
- There are 37 VC-backed digital health unicorns worth a combined $92.1B: The cohort’s total valuation in 2019 continues to grow as Babylon and CMR Surgical join the herd.
- Investors are less bullish on cannabis in Q3: Cannabis equities were down sharply in Q3, while corporate M&A also declined.
- AI in healthcare funding skyrockets in Q3: Healthcare AI companies raised almost $1.6B across 103 deals.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity