Our first ever healthcare report gives a data-driven look at global healthcare technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity in Q2 2019.
It’s been a record first half of the year with the amount invested in healthcare companies globally rising to $26.9B in H1’19 compared to $26.5B in H1’18. In this report we cover macro trends across geographies in both the digital health and broader healthcare spaces, before shining a spotlight on seven sub-sectors within the healthcare landscape.
- The global unicorn herd includes 38 VC-backed digital health startups, collectively worth $90.7B. The cohort’s valuation continued to grow this year thanks to mega-rounds to existing unicorns.
- Startups working on AI in healthcare reached funding highs in Q2’19. AI remains top-of-mind across industries, and the surge in funding shows that healthcare is no exception.
- Women’s health deals continue strong in 2019. women’s health companies saw 246% funding increase and 25% deal increase in H1’19 compared to H1’18
- The second quarter saw funding decline in Asia, North America, and Europe. Despite an overall rise compared to H1’18, funding to Asia-based startups dropped 39% in Q2, while funding levels to companies based in North America and Europe also declined.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity