Our State Of Healthcare report features data-driven insights from our emerging tech insights platform. We take a look at global healthcare investment trends in key verticals, top deals, active investors, and more.
Q1’21 continued to see strong investor interest following 2020’s record highs, boosted by notable $100M+ healthcare investments and exits. Key themes that emerged over the quarter included the increasing role of data analytics, consumer-centric healthcare, and Medicare & Medicaid solutions in driving efficient care delivery.
In this report, we feature updates on global healthcare funding, M&A deals, partnership activity, and technology that’s gaining traction. Our quarterly report also covers trends within specific areas of healthcare, including AI in healthcare, telehealth, medical devices, mental health, women’s health, omics, and cybersecurity.
- Global healthcare funding hit a new quarterly record in Q1’21. A total of $31.6B in equity funding was raised, boosted by a record number of 96 mega-rounds ($100M+). Deal count grew by 9% to 1.5K+ deals, the second-highest in the last 12 quarters.
- Funding in Asia declined in Q1’21. In the meanwhile, North America and Europe saw increases in funding QoQ, with North America’s total boosted by over 2x growth in the number of mega-rounds.
- Global digital health funding jumped by 9% QoQ in Q1’21. Equity funding to digital health companies reached an all-time high of $9B+ in Q1’21, while deal count increased by nearly 13%.
- Digital health companies went public via traditional IPOs and SPACs. Tech-enabled Medicare Advantage companies Oscar Health and Alignment Healthcare went public in Q1’21. A range of digital health companies, from consumer health to omics, announced plans to go public via SPACs.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity