A deep dive into 25 global metro areas and their top tech companies.
This report focuses on hotspots of tech activity throughout the globe. From heavyweights such as Tel Aviv, to high-growth hubs like Shanghai, and up-and-comers like Stockholm, we analyze investments in 25 metro areas.
Using the CB Insights platform, we aggregated data around funding and exit events for startups around the world. The top tech hubs were chosen based on a deal share basis of the global total.
Silicon Valley still plays a dominant role.
Since 2012, Silicon Valley metro area companies saw 12K deals spread out amongst 7K unique companies – more deals to tech than all non-U.S. metro hubs combined.
Although investment is growing outside of California.
Beijing- and Shanghai-based tech companies take on Silicon Valley.
Beijing and Shanghai are ramping up to compete with Silicon Valley fundraising levels, buoyed by large rounds to hot startups like Didi, Toutiao, Mobike and Ele.me.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity