We highlight 2020's emerging trends to watch and high-momentum startups with world-changing potential.
The past few decades have seen unprecedented levels of innovation, especially in what Peter Thiel calls the world of “bits,” or software, internet, and mobile technology.
According to Thiel, however, there’s a sense that the tech space “could be doing so much more,” especially in what he calls the world of “atoms” or efforts to create things like new forms of energy, medicine, and transport — spaces that tend to be costly and challenging to tackle, but also potentially transformative.
Using the CB Insights emerging technology insights platform, we identified high-momentum companies pioneering new ways to solve big problems.
In this report, we look at 12 categories and 36 companies that could change the world, ranging from quantum cryptography and the rise of DNA data marketplaces for digital health to speed-of-light computing and next-gen nuclear energy.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity