An analysis of emerging food and beverage trends using the CB Insights NExTT framework.
CB Insights examined 20 of the biggest food and beverage trends, covering everything from beauty-boosting foods to optimized packaging.
Using the NExTT framework, we looked at the industry adoption and market strength of these trends, categorizing them as necessary, experimental, threatening, or transitory (NExTT). The framework educates businesses about emerging trends and guides their decisions in accordance with their comfort with risk.
Trends highlighted in the report include:
- Food leaders have been slow to adopt direct-to-consumer distribution, but that’s beginning to change.
- Pop-up retail continues to gain steam as a marketing tactic, customer engagement driver, and data collection strategy for brands.
- In 2019, expect retailers to ramp up their investment in inventory management robots, rather than robots that interact with consumers.
- Gluten-free foods have become increasingly popular over the past several years, but the trend is no longer a needle-mover for big companies.
- And much more.
Download the entire food and beverage trends report to see all 20 trends shaping the industry.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity