Our State Of Fintech report features data-driven insights from our emerging tech insights platform. We take a look at global fintech investment trends in key financial verticals, partnership activity, public company earnings call transcripts, and overall deal funding across the world.
2019 saw fintech reach an inflection point on a global scale, pulling in $34.5B across 1,913 deals.
- Q4’19 saw approximately $9.4B invested across 452 deals. Funding saw a boost from mega-rounds ($100M+) including a $1.7B investment to India-based One97, which was the top deal in Q4’19.
- Fintech startups are maturing beyond early stages. As a percentage of deals, Series B+ rounds topped 5-year highs. In 2019 there were 83 mega-rounds, an 81% jump from 2018.
- 2019 saw fintech deals and funding spread to emerging and frontier markets. South America, Africa, Australia, and Southeast Asia (SEA) all saw funding top annual highs.
- There are 66 VC-backed fintech unicorns worth a combined $243.6B. 2019 saw a record of 24 unicorn births, 8 of which occurred in Q4’19.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity