Our third quarter fintech report features data-driven insights from our market intelligence platform. We look at global fintech investment trends, active investors, the top deals, as well as corporate activity for the third quarter of 2019.
Globally, fintech deals rebounded slightly in Q3’19, but will likely fall short of 2018’s record.
This short-fall is due in part to the continued pull back in early-stage investing. Early-stage deals (seed/angel and Series A) fell to an eleven-quarter low, and funding hit a seven-quarter low.
In our Q3’ 2019 report, we cover macro trends across global geographies and regions within the United States.
- Q3’19 fintech funding topped $8.9B, a quarterly record when adjusting for Ant Financials’ $14B investment in Q2’18: Through Q3’19, fintech has raised $24.6B, already surpassing 2017’s annual total.
- Southeast Asia fintech topped new annual highs: Southeast Asia set a new annual record with $701M raised across 87 deals throughout Q3’19.
- India and China continued to do battle over the title of Asia’s top fintech hub in Q3’19: China saw deals surge to 55 in the quarter, reclaiming the lead from India, which saw 33 deals.
- There are 58 VC-backed fintech unicorns worth a combined $213.5B: Q3’19 saw 6 new fintech unicorn births.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity