A data-driven look at global financial technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity in Q3 2018.
- VC-backed fintech deals saw a global pullback in Q3’18, but still on track for annual deal record. VC-backed fintech companies raised $5.64B across 375 deals globally — a drop in both funding and deals from Q2’18 record highs.
- Aggregate fintech unicorn valuation tops $115B. Q3’18 saw two new unicorns births (Toast and Root) and one in the first month of Q4’18 (Brex), bringing the total VC-backed unicorn count to 33.
- Asia surpasses the US in early-stage fintech deals. Asia saw 64 early-stage deals worth $270M in Q3’18, 5 more than the US. In the US, early-stage deals fell to a five-quarter low of 59 deals worth $434M.
- US sees biggest dip in fintech deals in five quarters. Q3’18 saw a second consecutive dip in VC-backed US fintech deals to 130, down 17% from Q2’18.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity