A comprehensive, data-driven look at global financial technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity.
VC-BACKED FINTECH COMPANIES RAISE $4B ACROSS 278 DEALS IN Q3’17
Deals to global VC-backed fintech companies deals held steady in Q3’17, but global fintech funding in Q3’17 dipped 25% from Q2’17’s record. If the current run rate holds steady in Q4’17, global fintech investment dollars and deal activity could top new highs in 2017.
25 FINTECH UNICORNS GLOBALLY VALUED AT $75.7B
Q3’17 saw 1 new fintech unicorn, 1 fintech unicorn go public, and 1 fintech unicorn raise a down round. Coinbase entered the club at a $1.56B valuation, while Zhong An Insurance, previously valued at $8B, went public at the end of Q3’17. Q3’17 also saw alternative lender Prosper, previously valued at $1.77B, raise a down round at a valuation of $550M.
FINTECH DEALS IN NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE RISE IN Q3’17
North America saw deal activity to VC -backed fintech companies rise 13% on a quarterly basis in Q3’17 and accounted for 45% of quarterly global deals. Europe and Asia both saw deals to VC -backed fintech companies hold steady on a quarterly basis in Q3’17
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity