A data-driven look at global financial technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity in Q2 2019.
- Q2’19 fintech funding topped $8.3B, boosted by a record quarter of 25 $100M+ mega-rounds: Funding to VC-backed fintech companies grew 24% QoQ in Q2’19 and neared previously quarterly funding highs.
- Despite funding surge, Q2’19 VC-backed deal activity fell to a 10-quarter low: Deals dipped in every continent in Q2’19 as North America, Asia, and Africa see 5-quarter lows.
- India topped China in fintech deal activity for the first time ever: India saw 23 deals to VC-backed fintech companies, topping China by 8 deals. Fintech funding in China hit $375M, narrowly beating India, which saw $350M invested.
- Latin America becomes one of the fastest-growing regions for fintech funding: LatAm topped both China and India for fintech funding in Q2’19. Q3’19 has already seen a $400M mega-round to Brazil-based digital challenger bank NuBank.
- There are 48 VC-backed fintech unicorns worth a combined $187B: Valuations continued to grow in Q2’19 as many companies preferred to raise private financing over going public. There were seven new fintech unicorn births in Q2’19.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity