A data-driven look at global financial technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity.
- Globally there are 29 fintech unicorns valued, in aggregate, at $84.4B. Q2’18 saw five new unicorns births, bringing up the total VC-backed unicorn count to 29 worth a combined $84.4B. Ribbit Capital is the most active fintech unicorn investor, followed by QED Investors.
- Asia could be on track to surpass the US in fintech deals. Asia set a quarterly record with 133 deals, driven by a spike in early-stage deals and a 94% increase in deals in China, which saw 68 deals worth $15.4B. In the US, early-stage deals as percentage of total deals fell to a five-quarter low.
- US remains top market with five-year funding record. Q2’18 saw a slight dip in deals from Q1’18’s record, but it was still a quarterly high for funding to US-based fintech companies on the back of six mega-round investments which minted two unicorns (Circle and Tradeshift).
- Europe saw Q2’18 deals rebound with surge in early-stage deals. The boost in early-stage deals helps explain a dip in funding. Despite a 20% funding decrease from Q1, funding for H1’18 beat H1’17. Europe also minted a unicorn (Revolut) and had two largest exits to date.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity