A data-driven look at global financial technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity in Q1 2019.
- Q1’19 VC-backed fintech funding drops but deals remain strong. Deals were up 4% quarter-over-quarter (QOQ) while funding dipped 13%.
- Q1’19 sees three new unicorn births (N26, Chime, and Airwallex). There are 41 VC-backed fintech unicorns worth a combined $154.1B.
- Europe beats Asia in funding and the US remained the top market for deals. Europe saw funding grow to $1.7B, surpassing Asia which saw $875M in funding in Q1’19.
- India challenges China for the top Asian fintech market. India was the top Asian market for VC-backed fintech funding in Q1’19 with $286M in funding.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity