A data-driven look at global financial technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity.
- VC-backed fintech companies raised $5.4B across 323 deals globally. Global fintech deal activity hit a new quarterly record. The US saw the largest boost in deals, while Europe saw fintech deal activity dip to a 5-quarter low.
- Fintech funding saw a boost from 12 $100M+ investments, a quarterly record for mega-rounds. $100M+ investments spanned four continents and included N26, eToro, Oscar Health, and C2FO.
- Globally there are 26 fintech unicorns valued, in aggregate, at $77.6B. Q1’2018 saw 2 fintech unicorn births. 2 of the top 11 deals to VC-backed fintech companies created new unicorns.
- Banks continue to make fintech investments, but slow down pace. Over the last five quarters, top US banks including Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, and JPMorgan slowed down their fintech investments relative to 2016’s highs.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity