A comprehensive, data-driven look at global financial technology investment trends, top deals, active investors, and corporate activity.
VC-BACKED FINTECH COMPANIES RAISE $2.7B ACROSS 226 DEALS IN Q1’17
Investment dollars to VC-backed fintech companies in 2017 is on pace to drop 18% from 2016, at the current run rate.Global fintech deal activity could surpass 2016’s all-time high if the rest of the year sustains Q1’17’s deal pace.
22 FINTECH UNICORNS GLOBALLY VALUED AT $77B
Q1’17 saw the second most highly valued fintech unicorn in the US, SoFi, raise $500M at a $4.5B valuation. China Rapid Finance, valued at $1B, filed for IPO on the last day of Q1’17.
EUROPE FINTECH INVESTMENT SPIKES IN Q1’17
Europe saw a burst of fintech investment in the first three months of 2017, putting total funding dollars on pace to surpass $2.6B at the current run rate. Europe fintech deal activity is on pace to top 2016’s total by 57% if the current pace persists.
US FINTECH IS ON PACE TO SEE DEALS, DOLLARS DROP IN 2017
If the pace of investment in Q1’17 continues, funding to VC-backed fintech funding would drop 20% from 2016’s dollar total. US fintech deal activity is on pace to fall below 2013 levels at the current run rate.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity