We look at global investment trends and activity over the last 6 years by CVC funds that fall into the following 4 categories of corporates: banking, insurance, payments, and capital markets.
- Financial services CVC groups have invested in a record 368 deals worth $9.6B in 2019 YTD (12/11/2019). Q3’19 saw the highest amount of deal activity by financial services CVC groups on record.
- Banks are rapidly accelerating their CVC activity, with annual deal activity up over 6x between 2014 and 2018.
- North American share of financial services CVC deals has fallen from 58% in 2014 to 41% in 2019 YTD. Meanwhile, fin services CVCs are increasingly active in Europe, where deal share has grown from 12% to 28% over the same period.
- From 2014 to 2019, 28 CVCs have backed at least 1 unicorn, with Goldman Sachs investing in 5 of these $1B+ startups.
This report was created using CB Insights’ Emerging Technology Insights Platform, which offers insights into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Calls Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Startup Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Company Profiles to quickly see a company’s funding history, financials, M&A activity, competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity
If you aren’t already a client, sign up for a free trial and learn more about our platform.