This report uses the CB Insights Execution & Market Strength Positioning (ESP) Matrix to analyze vendors that deliver medication adherence solutions in healthcare.
Why is medication adherence so critical?
- A third of patients never fill their prescriptions and 75% don’t take them as directed. Tackling this problem by optimizing medication treatment plans and improving patient adherence rates could reduce healthcare spend by $528B per year, or nearly 16% of total US healthcare expenditure.
- Government and commercial payers are now tying bonus payments, and performance penalties, to medication quality improvement efforts. Strong medication management capabilities can deliver significant payment bonuses under these programs.
What key outcomes do medication adherence solutions drive?
- Increase the number of members adhering to medications by 80%
- Increase the duration of therapy and the proportion of days covered
- Reduce readmissions, emergency department utilization, and inpatient stays
- Improve on key quality measures
- Improve management of chronically ill populations
- Improve patient satisfaction and retention
- Supplement clinical trial research with more granular adherence data
Who are the medication adherence vendors?
We surveyed the players in this space and have mapped the leading players using our ESP research methodology into 1 of 4 categories: Leaders, Outperformers, Highfliers, and Challengers.
The technology vendors that are ultimately featured in this ESP Vendor Assessment include:
What companies are adopting medication adherence solutions?
In this ESP Vendor Assessment, we look at which companies have adopted medication adherence solutions and mention the following organizations:
- Arizona Complete Health
- Brown University School of Public Health
- CPS Telepharmacy
- Lifebridge Health
- Maryland Department of Public Health
- New York Eye & Ear Infirmary Of Mount Sinai
- Penn Medicine
What roles or functions are buying medication adherence solutions?
In our discussions with medication adherence solutions vendors and buyers, decisions and influence for these decisions often reside with the below functions or businesses and with these specific titles:
- Health systems — Chief medical officer, VP/director of population health,
VP/Director of quality measures
- Health insurers — Chief pharmacy officer, VP/director of pharmacy, VP/director
of quality measures
- Pharmaceutical organizations — Director of market access, VP/director of patient
Want to dig deeper into the medication adherence market?
CB Insights clients can download the entire 56-page ESP report using the sidebar to see our full analysis of this technology market.
The full report includes discussion of:
- Market need & traction
- Market stats & data
- Rich company profiles
- Insights into customer/peer adoption
If you are looking to understand the medication adherence vendor landscape, readying your org for an RFP, or initiating any type of vendor selection process, download this ESP Vendor Assessment.