This report uses the CB Insights Execution & Market Strength Positioning (ESP) Matrix to analyze vendors that deliver demand forecasting and inventory optimization solutions in grocery and food retail.
Why is demand forecasting in grocery and food retail so critical?
- As grocers and food retailers adapt to the burgeoning “convenience economy” and an omnichannel future, demand forecasting solutions are providing opportunities to reduce out-of-stock (OOS) events, optimize the flow of inventory, drive margin expansion, and minimize food waste.
- A substantial portion of global food waste, which amounts to 1.4B tons every year, is the result of supply chain inefficiencies. Demand forecasting and inventory optimization solutions can help grocers more effectively manage fresh food departments and, ultimately, better reduce food waste.
What key outcomes do demand forecasting solutions drive?
- Reduced out-of-stock (OOS) events
- Improved forecasting accuracy levels
- Reduced food waste
- Intelligent assortment planning
- Promotion optimization
Who are the demand forecasting vendors?
Demand forecasting & inventory optimization platforms utilize sales data and other relevant metrics to drive improvements in the inventory planning process for food retailers and grocers.
We surveyed the players in this space and have mapped the leading players using our ESP research methodology into 1 of 4 categories: Leaders, Outperformers, Highfliers, and Challengers.
The technology vendors that are ultimately featured in this ESP Vendor Assessment include:
What companies are adopting demand forecasting solutions?
In this ESP Vendor Assessment, we look at which companies have adopted demand forecasting solutions and mention organizations including:
- Ahold Delhaize
- Sprouts Farmers Market
- The Fresh Market
- The Whole Foods Market
What roles or functions are buying demand forecasting solutions?
In our discussions with demand forecasting solutions vendors and buyers, decisions and influence for these decisions often reside with the below functions or businesses and with these specific titles:
- Supply chain — Director, VP
- Merchandising — Chief merchandising officer
- Operations — COO, CEO
- Information technology — Chief information officer (CIO), SVP of IT
Want to dig deeper into the demand forecasting & inventory optimization market?
CB Insights clients can download the entire 43-page ESP report using the sidebar to see our full analysis of this technology market.
The full report includes discussion of:
- Market need & traction
- Market stats & data
- Rich company profiles
- Insights into customer/peer adoption
If you are looking to understand the demand forecasting vendor landscape, readying your org for an RFP, or initiating any type of vendor selection process, download this ESP Vendor Assessment.