Using data and features of the CB Insights emerging tech insights platform, we looked at aggregate corporate venture capital (CVC) activity in 2019, as well as CVC deals across regions and industry verticals.
- Global CVC-backed deals and funding reach record highs but growth slows: CVC-backed deals and funding with CVC participation reached yet another record high in 2019, growing at 8% and 3% YoY, respectively. This growth was considerably slower than the 33% increase in deals and 53% increase in funding in 2018.
- CVC-backed deals and funding to China-based companies fall: For the first time in more than 4 years, CVC-backed deals to China-based companies declined. Deals declined by 19% YoY while funding fell by 41%.
- Silicon Valley attracts fewer CVC-backed deals: Non-tech hubs helped drive growth in CVC deals amid a slowdown in Silicon Valley.
- CVC investment in AI companies jumps to an all-time high: CVC-backed funding to AI companies reached $10.6B in 2019, compared to $6.2B in 2018.
- Healthcare companies among most active CVC investors in digital health: Four healthcare companies rounded out the list of the top 5 most active CVCs in the digital health space, trailing only Google Ventures.