Using data and features of the CB Insights emerging tech insights platform, we looked at aggregate corporate venture capital (CVC) activity in 2019, as well as CVC deals across regions and industry verticals.
- Global CVC-backed deals and funding reach record highs but growth slows: CVC-backed deals and funding with CVC participation reached yet another record high in 2019, growing at 8% and 3% YoY, respectively. This growth was considerably slower than the 33% increase in deals and 53% increase in funding in 2018.
- CVC-backed deals and funding to China-based companies fall: For the first time in more than 4 years, CVC-backed deals to China-based companies declined. Deals declined by 19% YoY while funding fell by 41%.
- Silicon Valley attracts fewer CVC-backed deals: Non-tech hubs helped drive growth in CVC deals amid a slowdown in Silicon Valley.
- CVC investment in AI companies jumps to an all-time high: CVC-backed funding to AI companies reached $10.6B in 2019, compared to $6.2B in 2018.
- Healthcare companies among most active CVC investors in digital health: Four healthcare companies rounded out the list of the top 5 most active CVCs in the digital health space, trailing only Google Ventures.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity