A comprehensive, data-driven look at global corporate venture capital activity in 2018.
GLOBAL CVC ACTIVITY SURGED IN 2018
2018 CVC funding increased approximately 47% over 2017 and deals increased 32% over the same period. Q2’18 saw a record 757 CVC deals and $14.1B in funding.
CVC DEALS TO ASIA MAY OVERTAKE NORTH AMERICA
Asia attracted 38% of all CVC deals in 2018, up from 31% in 2017. In Q3’18, Asia overtook North American deal share for the first time.
BAIDU VENTURES INVESTED MOST IN AI IN 2018
With 13 unique AI investments in 2018, Baidu Ventures was the most active CVC in the space. M12 and GV followed with 11 and 10 unique investments, respectively.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity