A comprehensive, data-driven look at global corporate venture capital activity in 2017.
CVC ACTIVITY REBOUNDS IN 2017
2017 CVC investment activity increased 19% over 2016 in terms of deals completed, and 18% in total capital invested.
CVC DEALS TO US COMPANIES REMAIN FLAT
While Q2’17 witnessed the second highest quarter for deals over the last five years, Q4’17 matched the 4 year low of 180 deals.
Though funding rebounded in Q4’17, Q3’17 matched the 3 year low of $3.6B.
AI DEALS AND DOLLARS REACH RECORD HIGH
AI deals with CVC participation grew 32% in 2017, up from 150 deals in 2016 to 198 deals in 2017.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity