Our consumer products report takes a data-driven look at VC investment trends and highlights areas of rising interest across consumer products categories amid Covid-19, including gaming, fitness tech, and more.
The State of Consumer Products Q1’20 Report: Investment & Sector Trends To Watch provides an update on VC funding and emerging startups across consumer products categories ranging from food & beverage to gaming to household essentials.
Using data and features from the CB Insights platform, we report on key insights and emerging trends, including how the Covid-19 crisis has impacted VC investment. We also highlight what to watch for in the consumer products space moving forward.
- Dollar funding increased 36% from Q4’19 to Q1’20 across major consumer products categories, with mega-deals in March 2020 helping drive this increase amid Covid-19.
- Funding to food and beverage startups surpassed $1.3B in Q1’20, as alternative protein companies continued to gain attention from investors.
- Within beauty & personal care, early-stage deals represented the majority of VC investment activity in Q1’20.
- Fitness tech funding surged in Q1’20 as investors piled into later-stage startups.
- Gaming & e-sports gained more traction in light of Covid-19, with VC deals and dollars increasing in February and March 2020.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity