Our consumer products report takes a data-driven look at VC investment trends and highlights areas of rising interest across consumer products categories amid Covid-19, including gaming, fitness tech, and more.
The State of Consumer Products Q1’20 Report: Investment & Sector Trends To Watch provides an update on VC funding and emerging startups across consumer products categories ranging from food & beverage to gaming to household essentials.
Using data and features from the CB Insights platform, we report on key insights and emerging trends, including how the Covid-19 crisis has impacted VC investment. We also highlight what to watch for in the consumer products space moving forward.
- Dollar funding increased 36% from Q4’19 to Q1’20 across major consumer products categories, with mega-deals in March 2020 helping drive this increase amid Covid-19.
- Funding to food and beverage startups surpassed $1.3B in Q1’20, as alternative protein companies continued to gain attention from investors.
- Within beauty & personal care, early-stage deals represented the majority of VC investment activity in Q1’20.
- Fitness tech funding surged in Q1’20 as investors piled into later-stage startups.
- Gaming & e-sports gained more traction in light of Covid-19, with VC deals and dollars increasing in February and March 2020.