PricewaterhouseCoopers and CB Insights' 2018 Canadian MoneyTree report highlights the latest trends in venture capital deals and funding in Canada.
ANNUAL OVERALL FINANCING TREND
Annual Canadian VC funding level hits record high
- Canadian VC-backed companies raised a record $3.5B over 471 deals in 2018.
- Funding and deal count were up 35% and 30%, respectively.
DEAL SHARE BY STAGE
Seed-stage deals jump, early-stage deals fall
- Seed-stage deals as a percentage of total deal share increased to 31% in Q4’18, up from 25% in Q3.
- Early-stage deal share fell from 30% of all transactions in Q3’18 to 25% in Q4.
TOP FIVE MARKETS OF 2018 VS 2017 BY DEALS
Montreal market grows in 2018, Toronto funding increases, more deals and dollars in Vancouver
- Montréal-based companies raised $861M in 2018, up from $669M in 2017.
- Total annual funding in Toronto hit $1.3B, a 47% jump compared to 2017.
- Total annual funding to Vancouver-based companies increased in 2018, with $388M raised over 101 deals.