PricewaterhouseCoopers and CB Insights' 2018 Canadian MoneyTree report highlights the latest trends in venture capital deals and funding in Canada.
ANNUAL OVERALL FINANCING TREND
Annual Canadian VC funding level hits record high
- Canadian VC-backed companies raised a record $3.5B over 471 deals in 2018.
- Funding and deal count were up 35% and 30%, respectively.
DEAL SHARE BY STAGE
Seed-stage deals jump, early-stage deals fall
- Seed-stage deals as a percentage of total deal share increased to 31% in Q4’18, up from 25% in Q3.
- Early-stage deal share fell from 30% of all transactions in Q3’18 to 25% in Q4.
TOP FIVE MARKETS OF 2018 VS 2017 BY DEALS
Montreal market grows in 2018, Toronto funding increases, more deals and dollars in Vancouver
- Montréal-based companies raised $861M in 2018, up from $669M in 2017.
- Total annual funding in Toronto hit $1.3B, a 47% jump compared to 2017.
- Total annual funding to Vancouver-based companies increased in 2018, with $388M raised over 101 deals.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity