PwC and CB Insights' H1 2019 Canadian MoneyTree report highlights the latest trends in venture capital funding in Canada.
Canadian VC funding and deals decline in H1’19
VC investment in Canadian companies is down 13% in the first half of 2019 compared to the same period last year. Deals are down 15% compared the first six months of 2018.
Investors put more funds behind seed-stage companies in 2019
Investments in seed rounds have increased significantly since the first half of 2018, rising from 36% of deals in H1’18 to 49% in H1’19.
Toronto and montreal funding declines in Q2’19. Vancouver YTD funding increases
YTD funding for Vancouver-based companies rose 44%, funding decreased 18% for Toronto-based companies in H1’19 compared to H1’18.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity