Blockchain venture funding declined in 3 straight quarters in 2022 due to a tumultuous year for crypto.
Global venture funding to blockchain and crypto companies reached a new record of $26.8B in 2022, largely propped up by a strong first half.
But as the year progressed, the crypto winter coupled with macroeconomic pressures caused 3 straight quarters of declines in funding and deals.
Below, take a look at a few highlights from our 162-page, data-driven State of Blockchain 2022 Report. For deeper insights and all the private market data, download the full report.
2022 highlights across the blockchain ecosystem include:
- Blockchain venture funding grew 4% year-over-year (YoY) to reach $26.8B in 2022 thanks to a strong H1.
- The average deal size to blockchain startups fell 24% YoY to $16.2M in 2022, driven by a sharp drop in $100M+ mega-rounds throughout the year.
- The blockchain unicorn count stalled out at 79 at the end of 2022, with just 2 new unicorns in Q4’22.
- Web3 startups accounted for 56% of blockchain venture funding in 2022, up from 39% last year.
- Blockchain infrastructure & development had a record year for funding ($7.8B) and deals (235) in 2022, signaling investor confidence in blockchain’s future irrespective of cryptocurrency volatility.
- Venture funding to crypto exchanges & wallets fell 48% YoY in 2022, revealing a clear shift in investor sentiment away from centralized exchanges.
Download our 2022 State of Blockchain Report to dive into all these trends and more.If you aren’t already a client, sign up for a free trial to learn more about our platform.