Quantum AI. Deepfake celebrities. AI trojans. Our analysts identified 9 of the biggest AI trends to watch in 2020.
In 2020, artificial intelligence will move from the hype state to practical usage and value, as corporations begin to harness its power.
Data for AI will be a major theme throughout 2020, from new techniques that train AI on less data to data privacy protections gaining traction.
On the positive side, AI trends include energy-efficient AI, quantum neural networks and the role of natural language processing in understanding proteins.
There are also challenges ahead as AI gains traction. “Deepfakes” are becoming more mainstream, making it difficult to discern real media from fake media. We may also see an increase in malicious applications of open-source AI tools — which have been fundamental in democratizing AI.
Some trends highlighted in our 40-page report include:
- Commercial deepfakes will resurrect celebrities, shake up retail, and change media
- AutoML: AI is the future of AI design
- Federated learning will bring in a new data partnership ecosystem
- Doing more with less: Tackling small data problems in AI will be a major focus
- Natural language processing will help us understand the building blocks of life
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity