A data-driven look back at fintech trends in 2018 and exploration of what's ahead in 2019.
2018 was a stellar year for fintech startups with over 1,700 deals worth nearly $40B.
Key highlights from 2018:
- Fintech is growing on a global scale with deals outside of core markets (US, UK, and China) accounting for 39% of deals.
- The US remained the top market for deals with 659 investments worth $11.89B funding, both a new annual high.
- There are now 39 VC-backed fintech unicorns worth a combined $147.37B.
This report also focuses on 10 global fintech trends to watch in 2019, including developments in regtech, money transfer, blockchain, and more. Examples of trends this report explores include unbundling, the rise of impact fintech and increased activity in Southeast Asia.
Findings from 2018 suggest that fintech will continue its upward tear. With more areas ripe for fintech disruption, more technologies emerging and more fintech deal hubs materializing across the world, 2019 could be an exciting year.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity