In Q1 2010, we’d noted a resurgence in green tech / clean tech venture capital investment especially vs. the nadir seen in Q4 2009. It was also noted that the strength came on the back of strength in investments in the renewables arena, e.g., solar, bio-energy, wind, geothermal, etc.
Peering specifically into the renewables area, it was apparent that solar is hot (pun intended) amongst venture capitalists. Over the last 5 quarters, it has been the renewable energy sub-industry with the most deals and in the last two quarters it outdid the #2 sub-industry in terms of deal count by a factor of 3 or 4.
Login to CB Insights to view renewable energy dealflow and dollars invested by sub-industry over time, by geography or series.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity