After reaching record levels in deal activity in Q1’16, real estate tech is seeing sustained investor interest. As Q2’16 comes to a close, real estate tech has seen a number of large financings over $50M in size, including rounds raised by SMS Assist, commercial real estate company VTS, and online-to-offline real estate service Homelink, among several others.
Using CB Insights data and analytics, we highlighted all the real estate tech startups that have raised $50M+ rounds since 2011. As seen in the graph, 2015 and 2016 have seen the bulk of activity, with five deals in 2016 year-to-date.
As noted in other real estate tech posts, our real estate technology category encompasses all the software tools and platforms used by different participants in the real estate industry, including brokers, investors, real estate-focused lenders, commercial property owners and managers (including multi-family buildings), as well as buyers. The category includes online real estate-rental and -buying guides, but excludes startups primarily focused on in-building services, e.g. office management.
- The first half of 2016 has seen five $50M+ real estate tech financings including a record funding round for real estate tech: Homelink‘s $926M Series B in April 2016.
- There were nine $50M+ rounds to real estate tech startups in Asia since 2011. That includes real estate listing and search site PropertyGuru which raised an $129M Series D in June 2015.
- Categories that saw multiple companies raise financing include online-to-offline services like Aiwujiwu, Fangdd, and Homelink as well as leasing-management software companies like SMS Assist and Buildium.
Click on the image below to enlarge.
Want more data on real estate tech companies? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity