Real estate tech funding and deal activity hit record levels in 2015, and in terms of activity investors have not put on the brakes.
We used CB Insights data and analytics to track financings to real estate tech startups in Q1’16.
This brief covers deal and funding trends as well as some of the most well-funded real estate tech startups in the space.
By definition, real estate technology encompasses all the software tools and platforms used by different participants in the real estate industry, including brokers, investors, real estate-focused lenders, property owners, and managers, as well as buyers. The category includes online real estate rental and buying guides.
Deals and dollars
In Q1’16, real estate tech startups raised $428M across 56 deals, representing a small pullback in funding but a record quarter for deal activity.
Online real estate investment portal Cadre, founded by entrepreneur Josh Kushner, raised the largest amount of funding in the quarter with a $50M Series B in January 2016.
Cadre‘s round included participation from Founders Fund, General Catalyst Partners, and Khosla Ventures. Crowdfunding marketplace RealtyShares raised a $20M Series B led by Union Square Ventures, and Property Partner raised a $22.4M Series B led by Octopus Ventures with Index Ventures’ participation.
Most well-funded companies
Redfin, a Seattle-based online brokerage, is the most well-funded US company on the list.
|Rank||Company||Total Funding ($M)|
Want more real estate tech data? Check out our venture capital database below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity