As our Q3 2010 Venture Capital Activity Report detailed, the quarter saw $5.4 billion invested across 715 deals. The dichotomy in the quarter was stark as venture funding was down at a five quarter low while deal activity was at its 2nd highest level in eight quarters.
The trend over the last eight quarters can be seen below.
The funding decline resulted from a significant decline in VC mega-deals, i.e., those over $100 million while deal strength came on the back of healthy early-stage deal activity.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity