In mid-July, we’ll be issuing our Q2 2010 venture capital activity report (here is the Q1 2010 venture capital activity report). With 2 of the 3 months of the quarter behind us, we wanted to highlight a few interesting observations the data is revealing by comparing the first 2 months of Q1 vs. Q2. Below are the early winners & losers in the quarter.
(Note: With more deal data still flowing in, these trends may change)
- Seed VC rounds up (big) – The prominence of Seed venture capital rounds looks to continue
- NY investment dollars up – Despite many weeks out of the top 5 in our weekly dealflow newsletters, NY has shown venture capital strength in the first 2 months of the quarter
- eCommerce dollars up – As we speculated earlier in the year, 2010 may be a banner year for eCommerce venture capital investment
- Renewable energy dollars up especially in solar – Venture capital investment in solar energy remains hot (pun intended) as it remains the star sub-industry within renewable energy
- Series A down – As the data was showing, Seed VC may be the new Series A
- Massachusetts dollars of investment down – Could the quarter put a stop to Massachusetts share gains of venture capital?
- Healthcare deals down – The perennial venture capital sector winner of healthcare takes a respite in the first two months
Track venture capital deals as they occur by using CB Insights dealflow tracker.
Sign up to get our Q2 2010 venture capital activity report early.If you aren’t already a client, sign up for a free trial to learn more about our platform.