Pizza tech is hot. From drone delivery to pizza-making robots, we look at 4 trends disrupting the pizza space.
With or without pineapple?
Thin crust or deep dish?
These debates has been dividing pizza lovers for decades. And with $134B in projected sales in 2018, the pizza market seems big enough to keep all sides happy
Now, a new set of trends is reshaping the pizza space — from how pizzas are made and delivered to the ingredients used — giving pizza enthusiasts plenty more to argue about.
Additionally, startups and emerging pizza chains are leveraging new technologies — from drone delivery to 3D-printed pizza to pizza-making robots — to disrupt the value chain.
New ingredients such as gluten-free crust and vegan toppings are also gaining traction, appealing to a broader customer base.
Using CB Insights data, we look at 4 trends shaping the pizza market to get a glimpse into how the space is evolving.
Table of contents
- Startups are making crusts & toppings healthier
- Emerging pizza chain concepts
- Robots & artificial intelligence pave the way for tech-enabled restaurants
- Upgrading delivery: Online orders, drones, & autonomous vehicles
1. Startups are making crusts & toppings healthier
And both these brands are growing sales fast, addressing a pent-up demand for a healthier pizza alternative.