Within Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh has a clear lead over all other cities in terms of its venture capital activity. In Q2 2012, Pittsburgh-based companies took one-third of all deals and nearly one-half of all dollars from VC firms.
The nearest challenger was Philadelphia, which experienced a strong Q1 2012 where it matched Pittsburgh in terms of deal volume and exceeded Pittsburgh in terms of funding. However, over the last ten quarters, Pittsburgh has been the consistent leader having taken 24% and 27% of deals and dollars, respectively, while Philadelphia has taken 17% and 12%.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity