In 2006, Accel partner Peter Fenton left to join Benchmark Capital. Well played Benchmark.
In March, our VC partner social graph identified Fenton as part of a set of elite VCs with five or more Tech IPO Pipeline companies. One of those companies, Zendesk, raised $100M in its May IPO at a valuation of $631M. Today, Zendesk’s market cap is $1.77B. And this week, two companies that Fenton sits on the boards of, Hortonworks and New Relic, filed for $100M IPOs. Both have achieved $1 billion valuations in the private markets.
Fenton is also a board member of Lithium Technologies and Zuora, which have each raised over $150M and $120M, respectively. Some of Fenton’s less mature bets have already jumped in value as well. Notably, container company Docker is now valued at nearly $400M after raising $40M from Sequoia Capital in September. Fenton joined Docker’s board in 2011 after its Series A financing.
Fenton still sits on the boards of now public Twitter, Yelp and Zendesk.
A look at Fenton’s Tech IPO Pipeline boards (from March) below. Check out the full network analysis of Tech IPO Pipeline boards:
Check out the CB Insights Venture Capital Database. Sign up free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity