Payments startups have been receiving a record amount of funding and attention. We put together a periodic table of payments to spotlight the top payments startups, industry categories, exits, and investors.
The table is meant to serve as a guide to navigate the key players in the space. The 121 companies and investors in the table were chosen using CB Insights data and analytics around momentum, financial health, and investor quality. Below is the full periodic table of payments.
Note: click on the image below to enlarge.
Navigating the Periodic Table of Payments
The table’s top section lists notable payments startups, while the bottom two rows shows top investors in payments and notable recent exits. We broke down our list of payments startups into several subcategories:
- E-commerce/online payments solutions: Companies including Stripe and WePay that help businesses move their payments-processing online and make it more available, more secure, and cheaper.
- Payments/billing automation and streamlining: Companies like Zuora and Freshbooks that streamline invoicing and automate financial processes and billing.
- Point-of-sale solutions: Companies including Square and iZettle that offer point-of-sale products and services, including card readers, stands, and digital storefronts.
- Personal finance tools: Companies like MobiKwik and Affirm that focus on providing consumers easier and better ways to pay for things.
- Bitcoin payments: Companies like Coinbase and BitPay that use digital currency to make payments faster and more secure.
- Money-transfer solutions: Companies like TransferWise and Remitly that provide new digital solutions for sending money internationally quickly, safely, and cheaply.
If you think an investor or company should be added, please leave a comment below, with your rationale.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity