Investor interest in human resources technology companies continues to rise, especially in light of the impressive pace of funding and valuation jumps seen by prominent companies like Zenefits, a cloud-based HR automation tool valued at $4.5B in May 2015. We used CB Insights data to create an industry periodic table to highlight major players in the HR tech space.
The table serves as a visual representation of the HR tech landscape. Private companies on the chart were chosen using CB Insights data and analytics around momentum, financial health, and investor quality. Below is the full periodic table of HR Tech.
Navigating the periodic table of HR tech
The top section of the table contains highlighted HR tech startups, while the bottom two rows list notable recent exits and top investors.
We broke down our list of HR tech startups into the following subcategories:
- Recruiting marketplaces: Companies including HackerRank and Crew Labs create online marketplaces and information-sharing sites for job searchers and recruiters. These services help connect employers and candidates with the hopes of improving hiring outcomes.
- Culture and productivity: Companies like Namely and HotSchedules make HR software that focuses on helping employers observe, evaluate, and improve company culture and individual productivity.
- Recruiting tools: Companies such as Jobvite, Glassdoor, and Greenhouse Software create tools that help employers search for, attract, and hire qualified candidates.
- HR operations management: Companies like Zenefits, BeneStream and Beisen create software that allows companies to manage their operations including payroll, compliance, and insurance on efficient platforms.
- Recruiting contractors and temporary workers: Companies including PeopleMatter and Snagajob specialize in helping employers hire part-time or wage workers. These companies often target the restaurant, retail, and hospitality industries.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity