Cybersecurity companies have been helping businesses defend against an increasing number of threats using increasingly powerful techniques. In 2014, cybersecurity startups took in $2.5B dollars in funding across 224 investments.
The table is meant so serve as a compact view of the entire cybersecurity landscape. The 120 companies and investors listed were chosen using CB Insights data and analytics around momentum, financial health, and investor quality.
Below is the full periodic table of cybersecurity. Note: click on image to enlarge.
Navigating the periodic table of cybersecurity
The top part of the table lists top cybersecurity startups while the bottom two rows list prominent investors and recently exited companies.
We broke cybersecurity startups into several subcategories:
- Specialized corporate information protection: Companies like Lookout and Illumio offer specialized protection focused on certain types of threats or aimed at safeguarding certain types of devices, e.g. network “endpoints,” such as PCs, smartphones, and tablets.
- Corporate full-platform protection: Companies like Veracode and AlienVault offer cybersecurity platforms intended to meet all corporate security needs at once. These companies often target small- and medium-sized enterprises.
- Personal protection: Companies like Psafe Technologia and Wickr offer consumers products to help them protect their devices and information.
- Fraud protection: Companies like FeedZai and EyeVerify protect against identity theft and fraud.
- Cloud protection: Companies like Ciphercloud and Elastica are offering cybersecurity solutions specifically focused on secure access to cloud-based applications from anywhere. This is becoming increasingly important with the use of cloud-housed services and applications (Salesforce and Microsoft Office 365, for example).
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity