Payments companies of all types, whether they are technologies to foster mobile payments, virtual goods payment enablers or payment platforms for social networks, have been a hot area for venture capital over the last several quarters. Investment in payments companies has grown for three straight quarters starting in Q2 2009 on both a deals and dollars basis.
Data on the venture capital investment trend in payments is given below over the last five quarters.
Will the interest in payments companies continue? And do any of these payments companies have the potential to disrupt the incumbents in the payments arena, e.g., American Express, Visa, Paypal, Mastercard, First Data, etc?
Logon to CB Insights to see which payment technology and payment-oriented companies are receiving venture capital and angel investment and their areas of focus.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity