When it comes to seed investments by venture capitalists, recent CB Insights data suggests NY’s seed venture capital investments are gaining momentum at a faster rate than Massachusetts. Q1 and Q2 2010 saw an increase in seed venture capital investments in both Massachusetts and New York but the growth rate and the absolute number of deals was greater in NY in both quarters as detailed below.
As detailed in our quarterly venture capital report, NY is becoming almost exclusively an internet investment destination with over 70% of deals and dollars going to the internet sector. With its increased investment venture activity in internet companies, the trend to more seed venture deals is not entirely surprising.
As we track deals over time, we will see if NY continues to gather momentum versus Massachusetts in the seed venture capital arena.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity