VC-backed tech companies in New York saw a three-year low in deals in Q4’15. Deals recovered in the first quarter of 2016, and equity funding reached a five-year high in Q1’16, driven by three $100M+ mega-rounds, to Betterment, Oscar Health, and Flatiron Health.
Our analysis includes all equity funding rounds and convertible notes, but excluded debt deals.
Quarterly Deals and dollars
- Deal activity peaked in Q3’14, when more than 155 New York-based tech companies raised equity funding rounds. Some of the largest funding rounds include a $250M growth equity round raised by Vice Media and a $70M Series C round raised by stock trading platform, IEX Group.
- Deal count fluctuated in subsequent quarters, dropping to 117 in Q4’15, a 3-year low. Deal activity improved in Q1’16, increasing by 9% to 127 deals.
- Equity funding reached a five-year quarterly high in Q1’16, driven by 3 mega-rounds. Two went to digital health companies: a $400M Series C round raised by Oscar Health Insurance and a $175M Series C round raised by Flatiron Health. There was also a $100M Series E round raised by online investment company, Betterment.
New York tech exits
- After a sharp decline in M&As in Q4’15 — a 35% drop from the previous quarter — VC-backed tech exits bounced back in Q1’16. Some of the recent M&As include Drip.com’s acquisition by Kickstarter and FullContact’s acquisition of online address book, Brewster.
- There was only 1 IPO in 2015—Etsy‘s, valued at $1.78B—compared to 4 IPOs in 2014.
Largest VC-backed tech exits
The largest NY tech exit in the last 5 years was e-commerce marketplace Etsy‘s IPO, valued at $1.8B. OnDeck Capital (2015 IPO) and Tumblr (acquired by Yahoo) were two other companies with $1B+ disclosed exit valuations. 2015 also saw the $442M acquisition of Business Insider by Axel Springer.
|10||The Business Insider||Axel Springer||2015||$442|
Want more NY startup data? Login to CB Insights, or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity