Recent CB Insights’ data indicated that NY was beginning to outpace Massachusetts in seed venture capital deal activity. The other interesting observation from reviewing the data over the the last six quarters was a steady decline in median deal sizes in both NY and Massachusetts as can be seen below.
|Want seed venture capital deal data for Massachusetts and New York? It’s available on CB Insights. Click the green button or sign up here for free access.||
As can be seen, NY’s median deal size has steadily declined over the last six quarters. Massachusetts also followed suit with decreasing median deal sizes for venture capital seed investments albeit following a less steady, deliberate downward trend than NY. In Q2 2010, the median seed VC deal size in both NY and Massachusetts were $425k and $480k, respectively, meaning entrepreneurs were raising smaller rounds. The upside for entrepreneurs of these smaller deal sizes may be the ability for venture firms to do more deals which seems to be the case based on the increased seed venture capital activity we’d shown for Mass and NY earlier. Review our quarterly venture capital report for detailed perspectives on NY and Massachusetts venture capital data and trends.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity