Corporate VCs are stepping up their activity. In Q1 2014, 83 unique corporate VCs did a deal - a multi-year high for the number of CVCs participating in deals.
The rise of corporate VCs as part of the larger VC landscape continued in Q1 as corporate venture funding hit a multi-year high and jumped over 73% on a sequential basis.
Interestingly, while corporate venture deal levels have remained range-bound over the past several quarters, there are more and more corporate VCs doing deals (cue tech bubble chatter).
As the chart below highlights, 83 unique corporate venture capital groups completed an investment in Q1, a 22% rise from the same quarter last year and a 46% jump from Q1 2012.
To see more highlights from the CB Insights Corporate Venture Capital Activity Report – Q1 2014, click here.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity