Amongst the top 30 most active venture capital firms of 2009-2010, we have already detailed that the internet sector attracted 26% of funding and 36% of deals from these firms and that seed deals represented almost 9% of these active firms deals. Now we turn our attention to where the internet sector investments these VCs are making are located.
Not surprisingly, California is the leader on deals and funding dollars taking over 60% of both. Interestingly, on a deals basis, NY’s Silicon Alley which is customarily the number 3 for overall VC funding behind Massachusetts jumps ahead in terms of internet investments by the top 30 most active venture firms. In Q2 2010, we saw NY was increasingly becoming a single sector town with 70%+ of funding and deals going to the net sector.
On a dollars basis, NY is number 2 as well followed by Illinois (Groupon affect) and then Massachusetts. While California remains solidly in control of where most active VCs invest, will New York remain the east coast destination of choice for the nation’s most active venture firms?
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity