It’s well established that New York’s tech venture capital scene has trumped Massachusetts, but with all of the data highlighting NY’s VC prominence, we are sometimes asked whether NYC is poised to take over the VC title from reigning champion California. To satisfy your curiosity with some good hard data, we put this chart together to highlight where each of the state’s stack up against one another. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Although New York is the new Tech VC king of the East, California is still several orders of magnitude ahead of NY. In the most recently concluded quarter, Q4 2011, California had 3.4x the number of tech deals to New York and pulled in 4.8x the amount of venture funding.
Interestingly, in Q4’09, California’s deal count was 6.1x NY and it’s funding was 9.8x the Empire State. So although NY still is several orders of magnitude behind California, it’s relatively newfound venture capital prominence has allowed it to make up significant ground in the last two years. Nevertheless, it’s safe to say that for the foreseeable future, California’s reign atop VC land will continue.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity