California is still the undisputed king of the US for investment into VC-backed companies. The Golden State saw nearly 2x the number of deals in Q2’15 as New York and Massachusetts combined.
New York, meanwhile, has now tied or beat Massachusetts in deal activity for the fifth-straight quarter, with 142 deals in Q2’15 versus 117 for Massachusetts. The two states had tied at 121 deals in Q1’15.
The story was much the same on the funding side, with California-based VC-backed companies raising over 3x the amount of New York and Massachusetts combined. Meanwhile, New York retook the number two spot from Massachusetts. New York had lost the place to Massachusetts in Q4’14 and Q1’15, but has now been number two in 3 of the last 5 quarters. New York-based startups raised $2.2B in Q2’15 thanks to large deals including fundings of WeWork, Oscar Health Insurance, and Blue Apron.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity