Together, the five most well-capitalized insurance tech startups including Zenefits and Oscar have raised $2.5B in aggregate funding.
As more venture capital investors turn their eye to disrupting the global insurance industry, annual funding to the insurance tech startups has already tripled in growth in 2015 year-to-date. But a handful of companies have amassed considerably bigger war chests than the rest.
We used CB Insights data to highlight the five most well-funded insurance tech startups, below. Four of them are operating in the health insurance space, including software-enabled health insurance broker Zenefits, employer-provided insurance platform Collective Health, and tech-driven health insurer Oscar Health. Together, the five have raised over $2.5B in aggregate funding to date.
|Company||Description||Total Funding ($M)|
Zhong An Insurance
|Chinese online P&C insurance seller||931|
|Tech-driven health insurer||728|
|HR software and health insurance broker||584|
|HR software and health insurance broker||161|
|Analytics-driven health insurance model for Medicare Advantage members||135*|
*Includes debt financing
Looking for more insurance tech data? Sign up free for the CB Insights Venture Capital Database below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity