In the last year, the Top 30 Most Active Venture Capital Firms had their hands in one out of every four deals which amounted to nearly $9 billion in funding. The internet sector in particular was a favorite destination of investment for the top venture capital firms with 36% of their deal flow and 26% of their dollars invested going to net companies.
Our taxonomy breaks down the internet arena into numerous sub-industries and although there was significant diversity as to where VCs invested, four internet sub-industries accounted for 40% of the funding from these firms in the last four months. These sub-industries were: Social; Advertising, Sales & Marketing; Discount (eCommerce); and Gaming. On a deal flow, the most active VCs top sub-industries within internet were Social; Advertising, Sales & Marketing; and Gaming (a somewhat distant third).
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity