Artificial intelligence dealmaking has exploded recently, leaping to a new quarterly record of over 140 deals in Q1’16.
Corporates and their venture capital groups are among the most active investors in this category (tech corporates have also been active acquirers in the category).
Some takeaways from our infographic below:
- Intel Capital is the most active corporate investor on our list, having backed over a dozen separate unique AI-based companies, including healthcare startup Lumiata, machine-learning platform DataRobot, and imaging startup Perfant Technology. Intel later acquired Indisys and Saffron Technology (as we’ve covered in our research, the pace of tech company M&A in AI has accelerated recently).
- Expect Labs (MindMeld), which builds intelligent conversational interfaces, has backing from 4 investors on the list: Intel Capital, Google Ventures, Samsung Ventures, and In-Q-Tel.
- Google Ventures, which backed over 10 unique companies, ranked second as an active investor in AI. As we earlier reported, Google is also a major acquirer of AI startups. The table below lists select portfolio companies of top 10 corporate investors in the space.
Our artificial intelligence category includes companies applying AI solutions to verticals like healthcare, advertising, and finance as well as those developing general-purpose AI tech.
*Includes exited companies
Want more data about AI startups? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity